Autumn in Alberta can truly be the most beautiful time of the year, however, the changing season is not without its risks.
Here are some risks to watch for to protect your auto:
- Be careful of any changing road surface conditions on your commute.
- Pay attention to the danger of wet leaves on the road.
- Avoid driving through a pile of leaves as children can sometimes hide in them.
- Do not park on a pile of leaves, as the heat from the exhaust could potentially start a fire.
- Check your tire pressure.
- Adjust to diminishing sunlight and shorter days.
- Watch for increased deer activity.
Below are some plans on how to protect your home:
- Ensure your furnace and chimney cleaned, inspected and maintained annually by a qualified technician.
- Examine your roof for any damage and make necessary repairs before winter.
- Clean gutters and downspouts of fall foliage.
- Wash the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer.
- Insulate water pipes in area exposed to cold temperatures.
- Check and restore the caulking around showers, bathtubs, sink and toilet bases.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs.
- Keep flammable material away from water heaters and wiring in the basement.
- Keep a filled, multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Ensure there is one on each floor of your home.
Check with your Independent Insurance Broker to see if your policy covers your auto or home from these risks. Happy Fall from Paramount Insurance.